I tried writing some fiction tonight, but I kept on going back to this in my mind.
It's very, very much unfiltered from how I usually sift and sort through my romantic brain while writing, so bear with me, folks. ;)
My restless mind keeps coming back to a question that's been rolling around my head the past few days; classic and unashamedly cliche: is love at first sight real?
I want to believe it is because, yeah, I am a hopeless romantic. But it's more than that.
With all things that God wants in our lives, people and situations, we can feel a click, like we know it's supposed to be; we know it's the truth. I feel truth when I get a bear hug from a friend I haven't seen in ages, or when I'm dancing around in the rain, letting it fall down on my face. It feels like "This is right. This is real. This is truth. This is from above." Do you know what I mean? It's what I imagine Heaven will feel like all the time; pure white, no grey areas, just complete honesty and this-is-what-this-breath-was-meant-for's.
I'd think that from the moment I first saw the man God has intended for me, I would feel truth. There wouldn't be any guessing or blurry feelings, because for just that moment, maybe for only a hundredth of a second, it would dawn on me that I was experiencing selfless love; something holy and complete, before any human frailty had the chance to stain it. It's truth. He was the one I'd prayed for every night, and now-- now by God's faithfulness he stands before me.
And I believe that even if we don't understand it from the beginning, what it is that's happening, it's always been there and always will, no matter how silent and no matter how still, because I believe that love has
no beginning/no end.
This is cute. :) And I'm happy for you! i hope everything goes well. <3 Just remember to continually pray and one thing I'd give advice for is; Don't lower your standards. If you see warning signals, but are still bitten by the love bug, don't ignore it or make excuses for it. if you see him changing, let him go. The only reason I'm saying that is because I knew a guy who i thought was the one for me (and yes it felt so right, my parents loved him, i loved him, he was a Christian, etc.) We even prayed together that we would glorify God in the relationship. But he slowly started to change, and for awhile I ignored it or tried to make excuses for it. Until it came to the point where he pretty much did a 360, claimed he didn't change and he was always that way, and ended it with me along with saying some not nice things about me. And it hurt. (Sorry, this is a long story) And I'm not saying that to dissuade you. I just want you to be careful, because soemtimes we think something is so perfect and it just has to be and its what God wants for us, but later on we might find out its not but be so far in that we don't realize it till its too late. And i don't want you to be that person, i want you to be able to realize it IF it happens. If, if, if!! if it doesn't ever happen, than thats the best thing in the world and I am so happy for you!!! No lie. because I truely believe in love at first sight too! And I believe in love working out when we find our other halves. I just also believe in us making mistakes along the way and percieving the wrong person as the one because it looks like all signs are pointing to him when he was just a pitstop on the road to the man God ordained for us. I hope that makes sense? And doesn't discourage you, but just encourage you! Because thats all im trying to do! Sorry, this was long.
ReplyDeleteI do have to say though; "It's what I imagine Heaven will feel like all the time; pure white, no grey areas, just complete honesty and this-is-what-this-breath-was-meant-for's" <---That was beautiful. Pure perfection. I love that. The way you described Heaven. I think you are right too. It will be pure white and complete honesty, and this is what breath was meant for.
Thank you so much, Sophie, your advice always is always relevant and needed to me, and so I *always* listen. And you're right, because I too have been sure I've met "the one", so sure that I didn't know how I could ever love anyone else, but then it would fall down, being so much harder to pull myself up from all the hopes and plans. I'm sorry you had to go through all of that. <3 I know that God has some amazing men for us, and all of the hard times and questions of "Is he the one?" will be so very much worth it. It reminds me of that song by Garth Brooks, "Unanswered Prayers", because God's best for us is sometimes hard to foresee, but better than can be imagined. :)
DeleteThis is such a beautiful thought!!
ReplyDelete"With all things that God wants in our lives, people and situations, we can feel a click, like we know it's supposed to be; we know it's the truth."
You're so dead on!! I agree. It's amazing to think that heaven will be like that. And I totally understand because sometimes I have moments in my life where things, like you said, just click.
Thanks for writing this; it really made me smile! :)
Thank you, Erin! I'm so, so happy it made you smile. :)
DeleteWow...I can't even. ^^This all was SO beautiful^^
ReplyDeleteThis was SO simply put--yet such truth in each word. Thank you for sharing this--definitely be bookmarking this for future remembrance.
Aww, that is so sweet. :) Thank you, Meghan!!!
DeleteI found the link to this blog on HSA, and I've truly enjoyed scrolling through and reading your thoughts. I love what you said about truth...but I wouldn't simply apply this to romantic relationships. I think that any relationship, if it's going to last and be healthy for both parties, must be founded on truth...it has to have that 'rightness' to it. I've heard so many different opinions about 'love at first sight' ranging from complete acceptance to complete skepticism. I imagine that, for each person, the truth of 'love at first sight' is probably different. But anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts. They are lovely!
ReplyDelete