Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Lesson From A Simple Soul

Happy Valentines Day!
Today I got way too much chocolate, earrings, a book and a stuffed bear. I have a sweetheart family, yes. 
Speaking of sweethearts... sheesh, have you guys had the Sweetheart Milkshake from Sonic? Yikes, it's too good. 
I'd really love to hear how your day went, friends! <3

So, I helped my mom to babysit my 'lil niece, and while she was watching a Mister Rogers spin-off cartoon I decided to look up quotes by Fred Rogers (I'm a quotaholic) and it made me respect him even more than I did when I watched his show, back when I was a wide-eyed little girl in pig-tails. The gentle pastor and children's show host was so dear in a simple, servant-hearted way. He wanted every single person to feel loved, and lived out his life with that plea. I remember hearing that there was a woman who was about to commit suicide, but heard from the TV Rogers singing "You Are Special" on his children's show, Mister Roger's Neighborhood, and it helped to stop her. I wonder if everyone took time to stop and tell others they were loved and special, how many lives could be changed and even saved?

I know this is not an ordinary post for me, a ramble about a children's show host, but it sort of inspired me and put things into better perspective in how I want to live my life; it being a reflection of Christ, even if it takes every single ounce of strength and breath within me until I'm worn but whole. To offer everything I have to others to make them feel loved, seeing Jesus in their eyes. That is what I crave every day; that is my goal. 

“If you could only sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to the people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.” 
― Fred Rogers

“In the external scheme of things, shining moments are as brief as the twinkling of an eye, yet such twinklings are what eternity is made of -- moments when we human beings can say "I love you," "I'm proud of you," "I forgive you," "I'm grateful for you." That's what eternity is made of: invisible imperishable good stuff.” 
― Fred Rogers

“I believe that appreciation is a holy thing--that when we look for what's best in a person we happen to be with at the moment, we're doing what God does all the time. So in loving and appreciating our neighbor, we're participating in something sacred.” 
― Fred Rogers




4 comments:

  1. Aww. This is so sweet. i remember Mister Roger's neighborhood! I watched that as a kid. He was truely a great guy. And I never knew that story about the woman and suicide. I also like what you said here; " I wonder if everyone took time to stop and tell others they were loved and special, how many lives could be changed and even saved?"

    I often think that too. Which is why i try to be nice to everyone I meet, even the ones that get on my case or hate my guts. Because everyone is going through something. And being nice might just make a difference and help them get through that something. I think one of the things we need to realize though that it isn't our faults if someone decides to take a life. Because sometimes people do that because they convince themselves that they aren't loved. Which is whole heartedly sad. But I knew this girl once with a looot of things going on in her life and i was there for her every step of the way, and i did tell her how much I appreciated her and loved her and i told her her worth to this world. But she didn't believe me and told me she was going to commit suicide. Luckily, I was able to contact an adult and in God's amazing timing, that adult reached her before she went through with it and her mom was informed. But say, she hadn't told me and she had gone through with it. It wouldn't have been our fault. Because there's only so much you can do sometimes.

    I know you weren't meaning that in that way, but I guess I wanted to touch on that because I'm sure people do feel guilty about things like that and I wanted it out there that sometimes no matter how hard you try, you can't fix it. You can always try to, but it's never your fault when someone makes that choice.

    Sorry, I know that was long and sorta sad. But I felt like i needed to share that. On the happy note, the friend wasn't upset with me for telling on her. She was actually grateful. And she's been going to therapy since, and I don't keep in clooose contact anymore(she kinda drifted from me) but she's still here to this day and I know she was seeing help and she's alive and that's whats important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so wonderful you were able to help like that. And I'm so happy she's alright! <3

      Oh, I completely see what you're saying. Sometimes people do all they can do and still that's not enough. But that's never their fault. I'm sure that's something hard to cope with for the people who try, even still.

      Thank you for sharing that, Sophie!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I love this!! Mr. Rogers really is one of my heroes and I adore those quotes, especially the last one. What an amazing man. I would have loved to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lacey! He definitely was. I'm looking forward to meeting him in Heaven someday. :)

      Delete

All of your comments always brighten my day up. :)
I do reply back, so if your want to stay updated just click the "subscribe by email" link, underneath the comment box.

Note: I ask you to please keep your words pure to the reader's eyes, within the message of Philippians 4:8

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable... think about such things"