This is written by one of my absolute best friends on God's green earth, Rachel Keeth. :) She's such a blessing to know, an amazing writer, photographer and most importantly she loves the Lord with her whole heart. Here's her thoughts on (actually, one of my favorite subjects), free verse poetry; as well as selections of her very on.
I love creating free verse poetry. It offers freedom that other forms of poetry do not. I don't have to worry about lines, rhymes, or structure such as in other types of poetry. I can write what I feel, and as long as I like the way it sounds it is okay. I no longer have to search for a word that rhymes even though the original word fits better.
Free verse poetry is meant to sound more natural. The simplicity that it offers, there is something beautiful about it. I have at times had ideas for poems to write, though I could never find rhymes that fit into the poem. The poem was then lost forever. Since I have started writing poetry again I have felt very satisfied. Now when I get some strong inspiration I write the poem down fast if I am in the middle of something then come back later and make any changes needed.
I find that one thing that helps me write poetry is practice. Michelle (my dear friend) and I enjoy writing silly nonsensical poems back and forth for practice. Once when we were writing poems back and forth I wrote a short one about my sister's personality type (poem "ENFP" below). The poem was short and silly although I quite like it, I think it fits my sister well. Even writing silly short poems can help you practice for longer and more deep poems (poem "By Ravelle's Edge" below).
ENFP
The lover of bunnies And all things made of fluff, They can ramble forever, On such cute stufffBy Ravelle's Edge
She walks through the silverlight trees imagining, Imagining the life she could of had and will have. The Fairies in the trees catch her attention, They dance to a merry tune happy as can be. They are always celebrating, making the best of things.Her walk is a lonely walk filled with memories, Memories of what has been and what would have been. Her longing for him, the one who used to be by her side, Puts a sad shadows on the trees, hiding their sparkling light.She used to take this walk with her fiance, he was her dream. His recent death did not seem real, how could it be? She never had the chance to tell him a goodbye. She walks until she finds the pond known as Ravelle. They used to walk by it's edge gathering shells.She sees something glistening, a diamond oyster shell. He had given her one, when they first met on this shore. It was as if this shell gave them a final goodbye. She cries her tears bittersweet. She whispers "Goodbye, my love" as if he can hear, Then slowly makes her way back through the woods.
I'm a lover of simple moments, coffee, nail polish, spontaneity, books, cold winter mornings, family and friends, baking gluten-free, writing, geekyness, drawing, lovely things, and most of all my Lord and Savior. You can read my blog, Lavender and Honey here. ~Rachel Keeth

No comments:
Post a Comment
All of your comments always brighten my day up. :)
I do reply back, so if your want to stay updated just click the "subscribe by email" link, underneath the comment box.
Note: I ask you to please keep your words pure to the reader's eyes, within the message of Philippians 4:8
"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable... think about such things"